11.01.2009

Pregnancy: Confirmed.

Today marks Week Seven, AKA the Week of the Blueberry.

We had our first appointment this week.  Yes, I'm really pregnant.  All the color drained from Scott's face, and I thought he might fall off his stool.  To be fair, the stool was on wheels, and he really should have been provided with something a little sturdier.

We've decided to use the Midwifery Group at Brigham and Women's.  I knew that I wanted to use a midwife and narrowed it down to B&W or the Cambridge Birth Center.  We heard equally good things about both places.  We went with B&W mostly for logistical reasons, like, if I go into labor while Scott's at work, I know 1) he can get there quickly and 2) one of his co-workers can get me there quickly.

Another perk is that one of their midwives works out of a neighborhood health center just a couple miles from our place, so we don't need to head to the hospital for every appointment.  This doesn't guarantee that the midwife we see throughout the pregnancy will be at the delivery, but we're going to be okay with that.  (Side note: my boss's daughter is doing her OBGYN residency at B&W, so it's possible that if I do need a doctor during delivery, it could be her.  Weird.)

All that to say: we didn't even meet with the midwife this week.  Just  a quick meeting with a nurse practitioner (who we really liked), to confirm the pregnancy and determine due date.  She calculated the date as June 17 (based on the first day of my last period), but I'm still sticking with June 20, based on the fact that her date does not match up with my longer-than-28-day cycle.  We went over the usual medical advice: take your prenatal vitamin; drink lots of water; yes, Tums are okay, etc. etc. etc.  Nothing was mentioned about caffeine.  So, yes, I'm still drinking my morning coffee - but that's it.  You can kindly keep your thoughts on this to yourself.

We have our next appointment in two weeks; it's just for blood work and to go through a more extensive medical history.  And then at the appointment after that, we'll meet with the midwife -  we're hopeful that we will love her.  If everything looks good, no first trimester sonogram (unless we want to screen for Down's, and we're still working that out).  The sonogram won't be until 18 weeks.  So first pictures likely won't be until January.

No comments:

Post a Comment