4.17.2010

Thoughts on Childbirth

I thought I'd try to write down some thoughts before childbirth class and before actually giving birth... but now I'm not sure where to begin.

The plan is to go natural. Women have been doing this for thousands of years, so why shouldn't I? I am not trying to be a hero.

I've done plenty of research on medical interventions for labor and pain management (pitocin and epidurals), and have not been so impressed. In fact, they scare me more than the thought of doing this med-free. My body produces oxytocin (pitocin) naturally, and I trust it to produce just the right amount I'll need. As far as pain management, for me, the thoughts of not being able to get up and walk around and of not being able to feel half of my body are far worse than the thoughts of being in pain for good reason. And I don't respond well to anesthesia, and would like to feel good after he comes, not suffering with a migraine. For my baby, the drugs  have no benefit and I'd prefer him to meet us drug-free.

So why birth in a hospital?

  • Home was not a great option - Scott was not really comfortable with the idea (and I definitely need him to be on board) and we live in close quarters (our neighbors don't really need to be audience to all the anticipated noise).
  • There is a birthing center in Cambridge, about which I've heard wonderful things, but we preferred to be in Boston, as that's where we live and where Scott works.
  • So Brigham it is. They have a wonderful midwifery practice - we've been so impressed and comfortable with them. And they work along with the Harvard Medical School (I have no problem if there are interns and residents in the room). I've heard nothing but good things about the hospital and my couple of trips there have been great. And, if need be, Children's is right next door.


My midwife is 100% supportive of our plan and has given us some tips for having a successful natural birth:

  • Be prepared - Natural childbirth classes start tomorrow. We're taking a general course, I didn't feel comfortable buying into a certain method (although we did get the Bradley book). And the tour of the maternity floor is next week.
  • Have convictions - See above
  • Stay out of the hospital for as long as possible - We're planning to labor at home for as long as possible (although, I'll admit, I don't exactly know what that means...) before going to the hospital.
  • Make the hospital room as personal as possible - I'm already working on a playlist for my iPod. Any suggestions for music are welcomed!


Anyway... I do not expect to be pain free (I can't really buy into that camp) or comfortable. But I do know that the pain will be transient. And totally worth it in the end.

My friend's husband is apparently fascinated that I plan to do this drug-free. He's wondering if I'm going to give birth in a teepee. I plan to put curtains on the hospital room door, so when they come to visit, he can feel like he's walking into a teepee.

And here's another fun Sloane Tanen print:
Jenny spent many a pregnant night dreaming of breastfeeding, washing hemp diapers,
and handcrafting educational toys from pieces of twine. And then the baby came.

5 comments:

  1. sara just so you know, with my epidural, i was up walking about 2hours after seth was born. know that will be so tired, you may not feel like walking around much before that. alot depends on your care provider and you! know that i pray everyday that everything will go as planned!!! i love you so much and i can't wait to met that little slugger!(i love this little nick name...since he's spent so much time slugging you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post! I could not agree more with your thoughts on childbirth. I commend you for taking the natural route and will be praying for you that all goes smooth and naturally! Slugger Jack has great parents! Looking forward to hearing how the class goes. Gotta love the tee-pee envision. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a spinal and c-section but was on my feet that night to see the kids in the NICU. Oh....on Tuesday, you will be at 31.6....that is as far as I got....

    We will be rooting for you........
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the Office episode when Pam had her baby and I think it's really realistic, especially how she's totally normal between contractions - because that's how it is. Anyway ... :)

    ReplyDelete